November 9, 2023 8:10 PM
- Representatives from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, including deputy chief operating officer Brent McCurdy, began meeting this week with regulated operators and other stakeholders in the province’s regulated sports betting and igaming industry to receive feedback on proposed changes to advertising standards involving the use of athletes, celebrities and influencers.
- Toronto-based Playmaker Capital, the North and Latin American-focused affiliate publisher, was acquired this week by Better Collective for total consideration of US$188 million
- Jean-Francois Reymond, a former European professional basketball player and now an education ambassador with the International Betting Integrity, appeared on the Gaming News Canada Show podcast. Reymond said the NHL’s recent 41-game suspension of Ottawa Senators forward Shane Pinto underscores the importance of informing athletes on the potential perils of sports wagering.
- Montreal Gazette sports columnist Jack Todd believes sports betting is bringing the integrity of professional sports leagues into question.
- During a Q3 earnings call with analysts and media, Penn Entertainment CEO Jay Snowden pointed to the Penn/theScore relationship as a “blueprint for success that we intend to replicate” when the company’s ESPN Bet launches Nov. 14.