- Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds this week became an investor in Montreal-based payments company – and Canadian Gaming Association member – Nuvei.
- The latest Gaming News Canada Show podcast presented by Osler, Hoskin and Harcourt LLP featured a panel discussion on the proposal by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario to amend the rules around the use of athletes and other celebrities in advertising by sportsbook operators.
- The 14 casinos in Ontario operated by Gateway Casinos have been closed all week following a cyber attack on the company’s IT systems in the province. Gateway’s 15 casinos in British Columbia and two businesses in Alberta weren’t affected by the attack.
- An illegal gambling site is refusing to pay a British Columbia man a $225,000 jackpot he won.
- Toronto-based sports and esports company Rivalry has a partnership deal with influencer Mohan “launders” Govindasamy that includes the creation of The Launders News Network.
The latest edition of the Gaming News Canada newsletter presented by GBG Plc includes reporting on Wednesday’s announcement of a coalition created by North American pro sports leagues and two broadcasters to advocate for responsible gambling on sports betting advertising. For now, there appear to be no plans to bring the coalition to Canada.