New Hampshire sports betting revenue down 24.6 percent in January

February 29, 2024 2:25 PM
Photo: Shutterstock
  • Steve Chen — Special to CDC Gaming Reports
February 29, 2024 2:25 PM
  • Steve Chen — Special to CDC Gaming Reports
  • New Hampshire

Shortly after the New Hampshire Lottery and DraftKings celebrated four years of legal sports betting in the state, the Lottery published a report that shows significant declines in sports betting in January.

Story continues below

Handle in January was $73.3 million, a 24.6 percent decline from $97.2 million in January 2023 and a 7 percent drop from December’s handle of $78.8 million. Of January’s total, bettors spent $62 million online and $10.6 million in person. Gross gaming revenue in January was $9.8 million, down 20.3 percent from the record $12.3 million generated in January 2023, but still up 27.3 percent from December’s $7.7 million. While online betting yielded $8.9 in revenues, $951,079 was generated from land-based sportsbooks across the state.

New Hampshire earned nearly $4.5 million in tax in January, comprised of $4 million from online wagers and $427,987 from in-person wagers.

Looking at the year-to-date performance, players have spent $450.9 million, with $390.8 million spent betting with DraftKings online and $60.1 million spent in retail sportsbooks. Revenues for the period reached $47.5 million, $42.4 million from online wagering and $5.1 million from retail sports betting. Over the period, the state generated $20.9 million in taxes, with $18.6 million from online and $2.3 million from in-person betting.

Betting has been legal in New Hampshire since December 2019, brought by a partnership between the New Hampshire Lottery and DraftKings Sportsbook, which is the state’s sole betting operator. In December 2019, the state launched the DraftKings mobile betting app, followed by the DraftKings retail sportsbook at The Brook, which opened in August 2020. Since sports betting has been legal in the state, New Hampshire bettors wagered more than $2.71 billion, of which $2.2 billion was wagered online and nearly $500 million in retail sportsbook locations. Over the period, the Lottery generated more than $100 million to support public education across the state.